Metro Manila News
PNP deploys 1,000 cops to areas affected by Taal eruption
The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it mobilized more than 1,000 cops to help in the evacuation and other disaster response efforts in areas affected by the eruption of Taal Volcano.
The police officers are members of the Reactionary Standby Support Force (RSSF) headed by Brig. Gen. Jonnel Estomo.
PNP Chief of the Directorial Staff, Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, said 693 police officers were deployed to Batangas and 324 in Cavite.
The police officers deployed to Cavite and Batangas were given face masks and goggles for their protection.
"This is the time for you to show what you are trained for, what you are capable to do in the name of peace and order, of public service," Eleazar said in a speech during the send-off ceremony at Camp Crame.
He said PNP officer-in-charge, Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa approved the deployment of the police officers, citing that the latter deemed it necessary for the policemen who were earlier deployed in the disaster-hit areas to take a rest.
Most of the policemen, who would be replaced will be given the opportunity to visit their families and relatives, also affected by the Taal Volcano eruption, he said.
"Most of the policemen who were tapped for disaster response since Sunday are local residents of affected areas in Batangas and Cavite. They also have affected families and relatives but they chose to serve because of the call of duty," he said.
He said the priority of the deployed forces is to assure the maintenance of peace and order in the areas.
"In the few past days, we became witnesses on the hardship that our kababayans in Batangas are going through and the sacrifices of our fellow policemen assigned there to assist those in need and to put them in safety in television news and social media posts," Eleazar said.
He said some of the policemen even went to the extent of rescuing and evacuating large animals.
"This is one of those rare moments when we go beyond our duty to serve the Filipino people. Let us take this opportunity as a chance to do our share in helping our fellow Filipinos, the very people we vow to serve and protect," Eleazar said.
He said the policemen will assist in evacuation, patrol of areas placed under lockdown and assist in relief and other disaster-response efforts in compliance with President Rodrigo Duterte's order.
"The areas declared under lockdown should also be secured for the peace of mind of the local residents, for them no to go back because of the risk of an imminent eruption anytime," Eleazar said.
Quezon City will start distributing on February 18 some 2,500 sets of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and 3,500 N95 masks to the frontliners who are monitoring and transporting possible patients afflicted with the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (...
Tax payments collected by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) through electronic channels reached P1.2 billion in 2019, up by 92 percent from the previous year’s P626.35 million. “The number of electronic tax payments last year rea...
Manila plans to build new halfway houses which will cater to cancer patients undergoing treatment. Manila City Health Officer Dr. Arnold Pangan said the construction of halfway houses is part of an integrated plan to strengthen the city's p...
The Department of Education (DepEd) allowed national, regional, and off-campus activities to resume on Feb. 24, 2020. Under Memorandum No. 23 Series 2020, the DepEd said such activities may resume provided that all measures identified by t...
For practicing financial transparency, Navotas City has passed the 2019 Good Financial Housekeeping standards of the Department of the Interior and Local Government. “Passing the good financial housekeeping standards validates our efforts...
President Rodrigo Duterte supports the Dangerous Drugs Board’s (DDB) resolution allowing the use of cannabidiol (CBD) or marijuana for alleviating severe forms of epilepsy. “Ever since naman iyon ang sinasabi ni Presi...